Vacuum pumps are laboratory devices that remove molecules of air or other gases from a sealed chamber in order to create a partial vacuum. Since removing such additional molecules is much harder in the reduced pressure of the vacuum, an immense amount of pressure is further applied by the vacuum pumps. These pumps are regularly used in laboratories for carrying out scientific research and processes like inducing solvent evaporation and filtering. They are also a part of devices like vacuum ovens, desiccators, and rotary evaporators. In the medical sector, they are used in the creation of various surgery equipment and carrying out pharmaceutical processes. Vacuum pumps are also used in manufacturing electronics to make electric bulbs, lamps, CRT tube lights, and glass coating.
Vacuum pumps are categorized into three types based on the pressure range under which they operate. They are as follows:
- Primary Pumps: Also known as backing pumps, primary pumps work in low vacuum pressure ranges of > Atmosphere to 1 Torr.
- Booster Pumps: Booster pumps work in vacuum pressure ranges up to 10-3 Torr.
- Secondary Pumps: Also known as high vacuum pumps, secondary pumps work in high vacuum pressure ranges from 10-3 Torr to 10-11 Torr or even more.
There are a wide variety of vacuum pumps that are available in each range, differing in the way they work. Sometimes more than one pump is used to perform a task in higher ranges of vacuum.
In order to figure out the right vacuum pump for your work, here are a few things you must take into consideration:
- Find out the pump with the ideal pressure range you require for your operations.
- Use a pressure range chart to help you with selecting an efficient vacuum pump.
- Go for an oil-free pump instead of an oil-sealed rotary vane vacuum pump.
- Find a pump that is noise-free.
- Remember that a larger pump would use up more resources than required and makes controlling it quite a complicated process.
- Costs of the current purchase, future investments, and resources required must be taken into consideration while buying a vacuum pump.
Selecting the ideal pump will make your tasks much smoother and easier to operate and manage in the long run. To find out more about the latest types of vacuum pumps in the market, check out LeDab vacuum pumps to discover one that suits all your needs.