The driving license is the compulsory document required by anybody to drive in India. It gives the right to the holder to drive. In all states and the united territories of India, the validity of the driving license lasts for almost 20 years or till the holder turns 50 years old. You can renew your driving license within the grace period of one year after the expiry date. Nowadays, you can keep a track of your driving license application status and renew it online and not run to government offices for it.
Steps to renew your driving license online
The application for renewal is not entertained more than one month before the expiry date. If the application exceeds more than five years since the date of expiry of the license, the applicant has to undergo all the formalities as for the first time application.
If you apply for renewal within one month from the date of expiry, the renewal will be made with effect from its date of expiry. But, if you apply after 30 days of the expiry date, the renewal will be effective from the date of receipt of the proper application. In cases like such, a fine of Rs.30 will be penalized.
The procedure to renew your driving license application status-
- Go to the official website of the Indian Government vehicle services https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/.
- From the left side of the menu, click on “Apply Online”.
- From the submenu that appears, select “Driving License Related Services”.A new page will open where you have to select the state where you want to take the services.
- On the next page that opens, you will find several options like “Apply for learner license”, “Apply for driving licence” and so on. Click on the “Apply for DL renewal” icon or “DL Services”.
- You will receive instructions on the next page about the procedure to fill the application form.
- Fill Applicant/Request Details
- Upload Documents (if required)
- Upload Photo and Signature if required (applicable only in certain states)
- Driving Licence Test Slot Booking – required only for Additional Endorsement of Driving Licence(AEDL)
- Payment of Fee
- Verify the Pay Status
- Print the Receipt
- It is clearly written at the bottom of the page that if you want to apply for renewal of driving license application status, you must file Form 1 or Form 1A and get it signed by an authorized medical practitioner.
- After you have read the current page thoroughly, click on “Continue”. Enter your date of birth, existing DL number, pin code and other details.
- Next you will find ” Required Services ” which notify only those services available on your existing driving license. From the given options, select “Renewal”. You have to fill in the form providing details like personal information and vehicle-related details. Upload your photo and signature. This is required only in certain Indian states.
- If there are changes in your medical certificate, book a slot for your test.
- After you have completed all the steps, you will be redirected to a page of acknowledgement where you can view your driving license ID. You can print it. All the details will be messaged to you on your registered mobile number.
- You have to pay Rs. 200 for driving license renewal. You can make the payment via net banking or credit/debit card.
The Indian Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 makes it mandatory to have a driving licence to be able to drive in India. Once your license expires, you must renew it to be able to continue driving. You must follow the above-mentioned steps to renew your driving license application status.